top of page

How to apply as civil party in Belgium? You criminal lawyer can inform you.

how to apply as civil party in belgium

In Belgium, you can apply as civil party during the investigation stage or during the court hearing.

During the investigation, you can register as a civil party by addressing (via your lawyer or not) a complaint with civil party status application to the investigating judge.

If no investigating judge is already in charge of the case, you will have to pay a deposit to open the investigation.

On the other hand if a judge is already in charge, the complaint is free.

In this case, you have to make an appointment with the office (the 'greffier') of the investigating judge in charge.

The assistance of a criminal lawyer is not required to take these steps, but it is often very useful. Do not hesitate to contact us for help.

At the court hearing (investigation or criminal court), to register as a civil party, you must file a statement before the close of the proceedings in which you mention the harm suffered (most courts have a form which you can complete as required.

On the day of the hearing before the investigating court, there is no charge for lodging a civil claim.

You are advised to keep and attach to your statement all the supporting documents that will enable you to prove your loss (medical reports, statements of medical expenses, invoices, receipts, statements concerning any loss of income, etc.).

If you have any questions or would like help with this process, do not hesitate to contact us : BeLaw Brussels criminal lawyer.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page